Monday, August 23, 2010

Review: Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers

Book: Personal Demons
Author: Lisa Desrochers
Edition: ARC
Pages: Approx. 364
Pub. Date:
September 14th 2010
Rating: A+




Goodreads
" Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She's spent years keeping everyone at a distance—even her closest friends—and it seems her senior year will be more of the same...until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can't seem to stay away from him. What she doesn't know is that Luc works in Acquisitions—for Hell—and she possesses a unique skill set that has the King of Hell tingling with anticipation. All Luc has to do is get her to sin, and he’s as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance.

Unfortunately for Luc, Heaven has other plans, and the angel, Gabe, is going to do whatever it takes to make sure that Luc doesn’t get what he came for. And it isn't long before they find themselves fighting for more than just her soul.

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay…for all of them."


__________

My Review

If you follow me on twitter, you have probably seen me tweet about how I can not wait for Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers, multiple times. It border lined obsessive. But I had good reasoning. I mean did you read the sneaks on Lisa's blog? No? Well, go here now, and then come back. Go on. I'll wait for you.
*files nails*
Oh, hey! Welcome back!
*throws down nail filer*
Sounds amazing, right?! No wonder I spazzed out every time Lisa mentioned Personal Demons. I'm sure she got a kick out of being such a tease.

Anyway, a couple weeks back, the awesome Lisa Desrochers sent me an ARC of PD.
*commence freak out*
Did PD live up to my expectations? Yes! Actually, it surpassed my expectations.

I love the idea of PD. You have Hell and you have Heaven. Both fighting for one girls' soul. Neither bargaining that once that get there, it's not just her soul they both want.
You read from 2 perspectives. Frannie Cavanaugh and Luc Cain. I enjoy books that change each chapter. It gives you more insight into the characters minds (i.e. Perfect Chemistry and Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles).
Lisa Desrochers wrote PD beautifully. You believe everything that is on the pages. You fall into the minds of the characters, easily.


Speaking of the characters... Frannie is a kick ass teenage girl. She is from a catholic family, but you wouldn't know that if she didn't tell you. This girl has a wild streak. And when Hell comes into her life, literally, that doesn't help.
Luc. Scorching hot, Luc. He gives the phrase "Hotter than hell" a new meaning. Not that I'm complaining. :)
You would expect a Level 1 demon, sent for a mark, to do his job and get done. That is what he had planned. But then he laid eye on Frannie, and his hellish world turned upside down. But he is still has a job to do. But can he get it done before Heaven steps in? I am Team Luc. He makes my knees weak and my heart beat faster. *SWOON*
Gabe. Lighter, and lovelier, than Heaven itself. He shows up, right after Luc, for the same thing. The big man upstairs wants Frannie's soul, too. But, just like Luc, somewhere between vying for her soul, he started vying for all of Frannie.


The entire book you are on the edge of your seat. Gripping the page edges, waiting for the next big thing to happen. And you don't have to wait long, for Personal Demons is fast paced. Except when it needs to be slow... :)


The ending definitely leaves you salivating for more. Now we just have to wait for Original Sin, Book 2 in the Personal Demons series.




As you read Personal Demons, you will notice music plays a major role. Especially "You Found Me" by The Fray. Lisa says (taken from Twitter. @LisaDez) "The Fray songs keep demanding that I write them into books. Orignial Sin is How To Save a Life."
"You Found Me" is perfect for PD. You will see what I mean when you read it!
Another song I think fits Personal Demons is "Drumming Song" by Florence and The Machine.



"Sweeter than Heaven,
And hotter than Hell."

1 comment:

  1. Great review! And I love that song!!! What a good find. I'll have to add that to my playlist! :)

    ReplyDelete